Mermaids has been supporting transgender, nonbinary and gender diverse children, young people and their families since 1995. Set up by a small group of concerned parents coming together to share experiences, find answers and look for ways to keep children safe and happy. Mermaids, has evolved into one of the UK’s leading LGBTQ+ charities.
Mermaids will deliver an LGBT-inclusive diversity session which will include:
– Understanding gender identity and gender diversity: what it means to be trans or gender non-conforming
– LGBT+ terminology
– Challenges faced by LGBT young people: isolation, bullying and discrimination, family issues, social situations, mental health, transitioning while at school etc.
– Transition pathways, including healthcare
– Changing names, systems and forms
– Legal responsibilities: The Equality Act, hate crime incidents, transphobia, managing single-sex spaces
– Improving LGBT+ equality and diversity: policies, guidance, recommended resources
Bringing to life the Mermaids training, delegates will hear from Matt Carroll, Headteacher at Rushbrook Primary School, who will talk you through the steps and stages the school have taken to support a Trans pupil. Matt will talk about how they have engaged with pupils and parents to ensure students feel safe, secure and happy.